Saturday, June 04, 2005

Saturday, June 04, 2005 Storm Chase Northeast/East Central Kansas

Departed Pittsburg, Ks.: 11:00 A.M.
Arrived Pittsburg, Ks.: 12:00 A.M.
Total Time On Road: 13 Hours
Total Chase Miles: 500

Tornadoes: 0
Supercells: 2
Hail: Penny
Wind: 45-50 MPH
Shelf Cloud: 1
Scenery: Unlimited


My dad and I left Pittsburg, Kansas around 1100 hrs, with a target area to the southeast of Emporia, Kansas. We grabbed some data from wifi at a truck stop (Beto Jct.), located at the junction of I-35 and U.S. 75 Highways. We decided to travel west through Emporia, and then north to Council Grove. Stopped downtown Council Grove to get some radar data using wifi. I decided I didn't really want to chase anything north of I-70 today, so we turned around and headed back south, as lone cell (at the time I checked radar anyway) was popping in NE Butler county and heading northeast toward Emporia area.

By the time we got far enough south, cells started to become linear, however got a couple of pix of the north side of the decent looking Butler County storm we were after. We headed back home, after enjoying the beauty of the Kansas Flint Hills(worth the trip), and even got hailed on in Greenwood County by a severe storm(lots of marginally svr wind too).

Got home around midnight after driving a total of 500 miles. Overall, somewhat disappointing day, as I was expecting more supercells, but nontheless not a bust. I did get to see severe weather, which I enjoyed just the same. There will always be a next time.

Russel Parsons
Pittsburg, Kansas

No comments: