Sunday, March 12, 2006

Sunday, March 12, 2006 Stark, Kansas Fast Moving Wall Cloud & Supercell

Departed Pittsburg, Kansas: Unknown
Arrived Pittsburg, Kansas: Unknown
Total Time On Road: Unknown


Tornadoes: 00
Wall Clouds: 01
Supercells: 02
Hail: None
Rain: None

Today's chase began with a Moderate Risk of severe thunderstorms. As I was monitoring the situation to the west of my home, a supercell thunderstorm developed between Neodesha and Independence, Kansas. Fellow chaser Joey Ketcham photographed this storm, as it moved northeast, near Neodesha, Kansas.
I hopped in my chase vehicle, and proceeded to drive west on U.S. 400 highway. I stopped on the east side of Parsons, Kansas, where I checked weather radar data at a Super 8 motel. For future reference, this motel has wifi access, and I had internet access in the motel's parking lot.
After seeing the location of the supercell on radar, I decided to head north out of Parsons, Kansas on U.S. 59 highway. The supercell was moving northeast at approximately 50 MPH. Moving at this speed, I knew I would only have one chance to intercept the supercell thunderstorm.
I ran into some golfball sized hail approximately three miles west of Stark, Kansas. I figured I had better get out of this beast's way, or I may get more than hailed on. I drove to a location approximately two miles northeast of Stark, Kansas. This is the location from where I photographed a well formed wall cloud that was associated with this supercell thunderstorm. I did not get a lot of photographs taken of this storm, as it was moving very, very rapidly. When storms move this fast, they are next to impossible to keep up with.
I made contact with fellow storm chaser Joey Ketcham via cellular telephone. Joey told me that he got some photographs of this storm earlier, but they could not keep up with it. I met up with Joey in Ft. Scott, Kansas, where we all tried to figure out where we were going from there. We decided to head back towards Pittsburg, Kansas, and hope more storms fired to our west later that evening.
We did get to see some severe storms fire up at about sunset. We drove to the Erie, Kansas area, and we got to photograph a couple of large severe thunderstorms.
Overall, this was a pretty good chase day. I got to see some large hail, and a nice wall cloud. I didn't see any tornadoes, but that's part of the chase. The season is still early, and I hope to have some pretty good chases this year. The supercell thunderstorm I saw earlier this afternoon, continued on its trek to the northeast, and it produced tornadoes throughout Missouri.


Russel Parsons
Pittsburg, Kansas

No comments: