Saturday, April 29, 2006

Saturday, April 29, 2006 Thunderstorm Dumped Large Amount of Rainfall Causing Street Flooding In Pittsburg, Kansas.

Departed Pittsburg, Kansas: N/A
Arrived Pittsburg, Kansas: N/A
Total Time On Road: N/A


Tornadoes: 00
Wall Clouds: 00
Supercells: 00
Hail: None
Flooding: 01

I didn't have to leave home for this flooding event. I took several photographs of flooded streets from the front porch of my residence. My CoCoRaHS precipitation recording station received 1.88" of rainfall between 5:10 P.M. and 6:08 P.M. on the evening of April 29, 2006. My recording station received a total twenty-four hour rainfall from 7:00 A.M. April 29, 2006 to 7:00 A.M. April 30, 2006, of 2.08". This amount of rainfall in this amount of time can cause extensive flooding, especially on poorly drained city streets. Flooding of this magnitude occurs a couple times a year in the neighborhood in which I live. Several people in four wheel drive vehicles were driving through the flooded streets, mainly just playing around. We haven't seen this much rainfall in this short of time, for quite an extended period. Only minor flooding of roadways occurred outside the city limits of Pittsburg, Kansas. This wasn't really much of a storm chase per se, but since I did get some decent photographs of the flooded streets in my neighborhood, I thought I would include them on my website.

Russel Parsons
Pittsburg, Kansas

No comments: