Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 Tornado Warned Storm Moved Across Southern Bourbon County, Kansas And Vernon County, Missouri.

Departed Pittsburg, Kansas: 3:15 P.M.
Arrived Pittsburg, Kansas: 5:30 P.M.
Total Time On Road: 2 Hours 15 Minutes


Tornadoes: 00
Wall Clouds: 02
Supercells: 00
Hail: None
Flooding: 01


Today started with a Slight Risk of severe thunderstorm over the Southeastern Kansas area. Since the risk of storms was so close to home, I decided to sit at home and keep an eye on my weather radar computer.
A supercell thunderstorm finally developed to the east of Chanute, Kansas and it was moving slowly due East. I grabbed my chase gear and headed towards Southern Bourbon County, Kansas. This worked out pretty good, as I intercepted the supercell near the county road intersection of Birch Road and 200th Street in rural Southeastern Bourbon County. A couple miles north of that location is where I saw the rain free base and a small non rotating wall cloud. I grabbed a few photographs of this feature and moved on to the east.
I caught back up to the rain free base area, where a saw another small wall cloud, Southwest of Moundville, Missouri. The roads in this part of Vernon County, Missouri were few and far between, and I decided to call this chase off. I ran across quite a few flooded rural gravel roads, and I got some great photographs of the sheared anvil of this great looking supercell thunderstorm as it marched on to the east.
This was a great chase, especially since it was practically in my own backyard. I really enjoy these chases where I can sit at home and watch the storms develop on weather radar, and then drive to them. I got to do this type of chasing quite a bit last year, but this storm season is turning out to be a different story.

Russel Parsons
Pittsburg, Kansas

No comments: