Thursday, May 25, 2006

Thursday, May 25, 2006 Jasper And Lawrence County, Missouri Supercell Photographed From Central Jasper County, Missouri.

Departed Pittsburg, Kansas: 6:30 P.M.
Arrived Pittsburg, Kansas: 8:45 P.M.
Total Time On Road: 2 Hours 15 Minutes


Tornadoes: 00
Wall Clouds: 00
Supercells: 01
Hail: None
Flooding: None

Today just happened to be my day off from work, and with a Slight Risk of severe thunderstorms across Southeast Kansas and Southwest Missouri, I kept an eye to the sky and the weather radar.
Later in the evening, a couple of very large supercell thunderstorms developed over Eastern Jasper County and Southern Lawrence County, Missouri. Since these were the only two storms that had developed in the area, they made for some great photographs from a distance.
I have always wanted to take some photos of a supercell thunderstorm from a great distance, but until now I have never had that opportunity. I proceeded to drive to the Southeast of Pittsburg, Kansas through North Central Jasper County, Missouri. I took a few photographs of the storm, from near Alba and Purcell, Missouri. I drove further to the south and took some additional photos of the storm from east of Webb City, Missouri.
The best photographs of the supercell came at around sunset. I was just south of Asbury, Missouri, when the sun was low enough to shine on the west side of the supercell. The supercell also had an over-shooting top at this time, which added even more to it's beauty.
Even though I didn't get to see any severe weather first hand, I did get some great photographs of a very large, awesome supercell thunderstorm.

Russel Parsons
Pittsburg, Kansas

No comments: