Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 Gust Front Associated With A Non-Severe Thunderstorm Located South Of Girard, Kansas.

Departed Pittsburg, Kansas: 7:30 P.M.
Arrived Pittsburg, Kansas: 8:30 P.M.
Total Time On Road: 1 Hour


Tornadoes: 00
Wall Clouds: 00
Supercells: 00
Hail: None
Flooding: None

A Slight Risk of severe thunderstorms were forecasted for Southern Kansas today, but not much in the way of severe weather materialized. A non-severe thunderstorm rolled into Western Crawford County, Kansas in the late evening. Since there hasn't been much severe weather this Spring, I decided to head out to see if there was a gust front associated with these thunderstorms.
I setup a couple miles to the Southwest of Girard, Kansas. There was not a whole lot to see, but a weak gust front did roll through the area. I have been wanting to try out some new photograph editing software I obtained, so I thought I would take some photographs of the weak gust front.
The software makes a panoramic photograph out of several photographs taken of an object across the horizon. The software stitches the photos together to make a larger photo of the subject. In this case, I was able to use the software to get a wider view of the gust front that rolled into the area. I'm looking forward to using this type of software even more in the future.
I did not get to see much in the way of severe weather today, but I did get to test some new technology.

Russel Parsons
Pittsburg, Kansas

No comments: